Tuesday, October 26, 2010

I love claymation!

This past weekend I stumbled across a movie on Netflix that I had never heard of before called Mary & Max. I was just browsing the independent film section for something new to watch when I found it. I didn't really know what to expect but I soon as I read the words "clay animation" I was hooked. I thought it was going to be a kids film, beautifully animated and I was okay with that, little did I know it would become one of my new favorites. The story is about two people, an eight year old girl from Australia and a middle aged, obese man with Asperger's from New York who become pen pals and is definitely not a kiddie movie. Do you want to see it yet? Because you should. I hate it when people give away to much in a story line so I'm not going to say anymore about that. You'll have to watch it to find out about Mister Alfonso Ravioli, Damian Cyril Popodopolous, and Mister Biscuit (who is a parakeet), to name a few. 

Adam Elliot is the masterful director behind this film and has done several animated short before Mary & Max. The animation is absolute perfection. The whole film has a very minimal color pallet which works great for the story line. All of the characters are a little wacky looking (some more so then others) but just makes the film that much more charming. The details are also incredible and just help to add to the humor and sarcastic tone spread through out the film. Just check out some of these screen shots.







And to top it all off, Toni Collette (who I'm absolutly in love with) is the voice of Mary. Philip Seymour Hoffman and Eric Bana also voice main characters. So now everyone should run and watch this movie, you won't be disappointed I promise!


May X never mark just one spot!
Kim


(Images from listal.com)



No comments: